Dermal Fillers are substances that are used to enhance facial features and to fill in lines, wrinkles, scars and folds. Dermal fillers are the most effective (and popular) cosmetic treatment that will delay aging signs. As we mature, we lose volume in our face. This then leads to wrinkles, folds, hollowness and sagging. However, a dermal filler can easily correct this loss of volume and offer a much more youthful look.
What are Dermal Fillers?
Dermal fillers are injectable gels, which help to restore facial contours that have been lost over the years. The most common dermal fillers used for cosmetic procedures are those based with Hyaluronic Acids (HA). HA is normally found within the human skin, which helps with skin hydration. These fillers are popular for patients with fast metabolisms or patients who have been using. HA fillers for an extended period of time and would like to use something longer lasting.
How is it done?
These are office-based treatments and local anaesthetic blocks are typically used especially for lip injection.
When will I see the results?
Results are usually visible immediately after the treatment, however they will improve over the next two weeks.
This is because fillers attract moisture and “mature” after they are injected in the skin. Collagen stimulating dermal fillers tends to work over a period of several weeks and require 3 or more treatment sessions before the results are visible.
How long do Dermal Fillers last?
This depends upon the type of dermal filler used, its consistency and the treatment site. Most HA fillers last roughly 12 months.
Medium fillers can be used to make the lips fuller. Long-term fillers can be used to re-contour facial areas and are best for indentations and scars. Fillers can also be used to fill wrinkles present at rest.
The major active ingredient of temporary dermal fillers is a natural component of the skin and when injected, breaks down slowly over the course of several months. Fillers add volume to the skin and hydrate the skin by binding water, giving your skin a smoother and more supple texture.
If you wish to enhance your looks with a completely natural substance which achieves a visible, long-lasting aesthetic look, dermal fillers are for you.
These products are fully absorbable and safe, with a smooth, soft feel and natural look.
Treatment usually involves the application of local anaesthetic cream to the treated area or a nerve block prior to injection.
The dermal filler is then comfortably injected into the treated area to fill out the line, wrinkle or fold. The procedure usually takes 10-30 minutes and there is an instant result with little recovery time.
The effects of temporary fillers, usually used for lip enhancement and to reduce the appearance of nasolabial folds last for between three to six months.
Areas for treatment using dermal fillers include:
- Deep lines/scars
- Fine lines around the eyes and mouth
- Nasolabial folds (from the nose to the corner of the mouth)
- Lip augmentation
- Cheek and chin argumentation
- Fine changes of the nose- “liquid rhinoplasty.”
If you would like more information about this treatment, please call MaroubraCosmetic & Skin Cancer Clinic on
02 9477 1661 and make an appointment for a consultation.
Fillers Post-Treatment Advice
During the first 24-28 hours after treatment you may experience redness, swelling and tenderness in the treated area. This is normal and will pass quickly.
The following guidelines are recommended during the first 2-3 days following your treatment with Fillers.
- It is best if you are able to keep treated areas free of cosmetics, and avoid using moisturiser, and active products containing AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acids/Glycolics), BHA (Beta Hydroxy Acids), or retinoid Gels or Creams.
- You may apply light water based make-up where necessary.
- Apply cool compresses to the treated area to relieve swelling and possible bruising.
- Avoid drinking alcohol as it opens up blood vessels and may increase bruising or swelling.
- Avoid strenuous exercise/swimming and extremes of hot e.g. Spa/sauna and cold e.g. Ice direct to skin
- Drink water regularly throughout the day (approximately 8 glasses of water is recommended daily).
- You may take Panadol or similar medication if treated areas are tender.
- Avoid touching the injection site for 24-48hours
- Should you feel or see any lumps in the treatment areas once swelling has subside it is recommended that you gently massage the area carefully with clean fingers.
- Do not have facials, facial waxing, Glycolic or AHA peels, Liquid Nitrogen (dry ice) or laser treatments for one month after the injection with Fillers. Laser resurfacing is best done after the Filler has disappeared from the skin.
For treatments on and around lips
- Do not drink very hot or very cold beverages
- Try not to kiss for the first 24 hours
- Avoid touching the lip area
Should you have any concerns or be experiencing prolonged redness, swelling, tenderness or any other symptoms please contact us on (02) 8971 6175.